Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A true leader creating leaders

When I saw "Leadership Skills" in the course content of Slot IV, IIM Ahmedabad, I knew it was one of those courses where one has to read billions of pages in various case-mats, articles and what not and finally vomit it in the examination hall to get a good grade. That's what most of the toppers are made of, anyways.

But till now, I had not looked at the instructor's name. Owwww someeeee.... :) Prof. Deepti Bhatnagar was about to teach us this course. She is a Godlike figure, and if I believe some of the earlier poets, "Guru is even bigger than God." They are the ones who make life worth living for people. I was lucky to have been taught by her earlier as well, and I knew this one also was going to be good. But she has got a bad habit of breaking expectations - though on a positive side. Earlier course also, "Interpersonal and Group Processes" was way beyond my expectations.

This course was very very compact (10 sessions) and having started on November 16, 2009 ended today. We were wondering what will we learn about leadership in such a short time. But this was one of the best courses I attended till date. The cases were picked with utmost care and each one was extremely powerful in delivering a unique dimension of leadership. There were assignments and exercises appropriately designed to make students feel these aspects. Some of the aspects I learned:

1. The biggest challenge in leadership is to make your followers do what you want them to do ho you want them to do where you want to do...... and make them feel they are doing it.
2. Managers maintain status-quo, leaders bring changes.
3. Leadership is NOT authority, rank, privileges, perks, money, popularity. It IS responsibility for results, action (not intention).
4. Self Fulfilling Prophecy (SFP)
5. Pygmalion effect
6. Level 5 Leadership - Perfect leadership + Extreme case of humility (Google for more details)
7. Leader should get on the balcony to analyze things (Outsider perspective)
8. Get the conflicts in open - Adaptive Challenges
9. A leader should realize the power of delegation.
10. A leader should serve.
11. Be very cautious of Power. It corrupts very easily.
12. Respect the power of relatively powerless. Power to resist is more than the power to control.
13. Passion alone is not sufficient. Team work is important.

This is an extremely short and incomplete summary of the course. But it is not possible for me to reproduce the entire learning. It is not something I have mug up, I have grasped a lot of things which I am sure will help me all the time in future. She told in a class, "The more I love my people, more I worry for them in a situation when I am not there. And hence, the need to create a second class of leaders."Here is a real, genuine leader with immense love for her students - generating a class of new leaders every year. Hats/ Caps / Scarfs off [:P] to the real leader, Prof. Deepti Bhatnagar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home